Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Swedish cinnamom buns





Swedish cinnamon buns | Kanelbullar 


Here is a real classic Swedish bun that is loved by Swedish people and maybe people from other countries as well.

Two years ago I went on a trip to Gothenburg, Sweden. In Gothenburg I found a great cafe, where they were selling huge cinnamon buns, they called it Haga bullen. I remember the bun had so much taste of cinnamon, cardamom, and very soft and fluffy and the pearl sugar was something new to me. I started to like cinnamon bun from then on. Before going back to Japan, I bought pearl sugar in Sweden. It seems pearl sugar can be found in almost every supermarket in Sweden.

There are many kinds of cinnamon buns, some are cinnamon rolls, and some don’t use cardamon or pearl sugar. For my recipe, I will be using cardamon and pearl sugar. I will also braid the cinnamon bun to make it a look a bit more like the ones they sell at the cafes in Sweden. The braided cinnamon bun is a bit harder to make than the normal cinnamon rolls, but still very doable.

In this recipe, I will be using room temperature butter that way we can use less flour and the buns become more fluffy and soft.
This recipe yields around 6-8 buns. (I have a small oven)
Feel free to double the amount if you want to make more buns.

Dough:
4 dl flour
25-gram sugar
6-gram yeast (I am using dry yeast)
1.5 dl milk
1 teaspoon cardamom
25-gram butter (room temperature)

Cinnamon filling
25-gram butter (room temperature)
25-gram sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon powder
For the egg wash
1 egg
a few drops of milk

Prepare the dough
1. In a big bowl mix flour, sugar, yeast, cardamom, butter, and milk together. Used your hand to slowly make it into a dough. Try to use as little flour as possible, less flour make the buns softer. 

2. Knead the dough for around 10 minutes and then cover the dough with a cloth and let it rest for around 30 minutes.

 3. While the dough is resting, we will start to prepare the cinnamon filling. In a bowl, mix the powdered cinnamon, sugar, and butter, until it becomes a paste. Please use room temperature butter.

4. Once the dough has been resting for 30 minutes, take it out and use a bread roller to roll it into a square.

5. Add the cinnamon filling all over the rolled out dough.
6. Fold the dough into half and cut it into 6-8 stripes.

7. Cut every stripe in half and leave a small part uncut on the top.

8. Twist the stripes and roll into a bun and brush the buns with the egg wash and add pearl sugar on top of each bun.
9. Turn on the oven to 225 degrees and bake the buns for around
7-10 minutes.

I hope you will love these cinnamon buns as much as I do!



No comments:

Post a Comment